March 30, 2007

Chomp - Getting all Active

Chomp is definitely getting better. Yesterday I heard a noise at the cage and when I looked out the back door, I saw him dangling from one leg (head upside down) from the large branch that Pierre put into the cage on the first day. He (that's Chomp, not Pierre) obviously tried to fly onto the branch but must have lost his balance, having only one operational wing. Poor thing - after I got over the initial shock I started laughing - it was just so funny - a pity I didn't have the camera ready. Then this morning, Chomp made a run for it. I was cleaning out his cage when he ducked under my arm and ran off into the garden. Luckily Jioma is faster than Chomp and he cornered him, giving me the opportunity to cover him with a towel. Jioma then carried him back to the cage. We decided to put another larger brick into his cage in the hope that it would encourage him to climb up onto the large branch instead of trying to fly. Well - below is proof that our tactic worked. He is now happily sitting on his branch. I think it will soon be time to build him a "chicken-run" or something so he has more space to be active.

No comments: