November 20, 2006

Bird Watching

We went to the dam yesterday late afternoon. Unfortunately I don't have any photos to post but for those of you who are interested in bird watching, these are the birds we saw there (Afrikaans names in brackets) :
  • Hamerkop (Hamerkop)
  • Little Grebe - also known as Dabchick (Kleindobbertjie)
  • Kingfisher - it was either the Grey-Headed (Gryskopvisvanger) or Brown-Headed (Bruinkopvisvanger) - we're not sure
  • Pied Kingfisher (Bontvisvanger)
  • Malachite Kingfisher (Kuifkopvisvanger)
  • African Jacana (Grootlangtoon)
  • Yellow-Billed Duck (Geelbekeend)
  • African Black Duck (Swarteend)
  • Great White Egret (Grootwitreier)
  • African Darter (Afrikaanse Slanghalsvoel)

I'm also lucky enough to see a lot of birds at home because the houses are right on the edge of the forest. Next time, I'll list the birds I usually see from my kitchen window.

No comments: